In 1953 the Catholic Men in Levittown, Hicksville, Plainedge and Wantagh areas met to form a new Knights Of Columbus Council.
The majority of the charter members were parishioners of St. Bernard's, St.
James and Holy Family Parishes.
The first meetings of the Council were held in several
locations in the areas, and after many fundraising affairs and dedicated efforts
of the members the present building on Jefferies Road was acquired and expanded
to be useful for council business. Every member of the council is also a member
of the Columbus Club of Levittown Inc. which is the membership corporation which
owns and maintains the building.
The charter members who were responsible for giving
our council name "Holy Innocents" were prophetic in their selection. In 1953
there was no reason to call attention to the slaughter of the Innocents. It was
a crime to cause an abortion in those days. Now our country is in the midst of a
holocaust which denies the very Right to Life upon which this country was
founded. This prophecy is perhaps the reason why our Council has been so active
in Pro-Life activities.
In 2012 The Knights of Columbus celebrated it's 130th
Anniversary as a Charitable and Fraternal Order. In 2013 our Holy Innocents
Council celebrates or 60th Anniversary.
In the 60 years since our founding, we have
distiguished ourselves in this Order, erecting a 9-11 Memorial, Earning several
Order awards including Four Star Council Awards. We have been recognized by
town, county, and state goverments for our community service. Many of our
members go on to hold higher positions in the Knights of Columbus organization.
The current State Deputy, which is the highest office in New York State is held
by one of our members.